A completed application consists of the following items:
- A completed application cover sheet
- A résumé or short biography with contact information for a professional reference
- An application essay (no longer than two double-spaced pages)
1) Application Cover Sheet
The application cover sheet must be filled out online at this address:
Please follow the prompts; be sure to indicate your first and second choices of workshop dates. Before you click the “submit” button, print out the cover sheet and add it to your application package. Then click “submit.”
- At this point you will be asked if you want to fill out a cover sheet for another project. If you want to apply for a second project, follow the prompts to select the other project and repeat the process. (You can apply to up to two NEH summer projects (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes), but may participate in only one.)
- You must submit a separate cover sheet online for each project to which you are applying in order to generate a unique tracking number for each application. Do not copy and paste a new cover sheet.
Note that filling out a cover sheet is not the same as applying for a project, so there is no penalty for changing your mind and filling out a cover sheet for several projects. You have not completed an application until you have submitted an application coversheet, resume and reference, and application essay submitted to the project director.
2) Résumé and Reference
Please include a résumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience. Be sure the résumé provides the name, title, phone number, and e-mail address of one professional reference.
3) Application Essay
The application essay should be no more than two double‑spaced pages. The essay should address your professional background; interest in the subject of the workshop; special perspectives, skills, or experiences that would contribute to the workshop; and how the experience would enhance your teaching or school service.
Submitting your application (deadline: March 1, 2016)
- Please submit PDF attachments of the following items:
- a copy of your application coversheet,
- resume, and
- application essay
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Do not submit your application to the NEH)
- All submitted applications will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt
- If you are unable to submit your application by email, please contact Jennifer Rosenfeld <email@example.com> or (703) 993-9875 to arrange an alternative means of submission.
- Please Note: An individual may apply to up to two NEH summer projects (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes), but may participate in only one.
- March 1, 2016, midnight EST: Deadline for email applications.
- March 31, 2016: Announcement of awards – all applicants notified by email
- April 7, 2016: Deadline for accepting or declining award (award information will be emailed on receipt of acceptance)
- Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program (NEH Landmarks Workshop, NEH Summer Seminar, or NEH Summer Institute), you may not withdraw in order to accept an offer from another program.
- April 27, 2016: Deadline for return of forms sent with the award information
- May 2, 2016: Information emails sent to participants